Longview Chapter of National AMBUCS
We meet every Thursday noon at First United Methodist Church at 400 N Fredonia St.
where we enjoy fellowship, friendship, and a wide
variety of speakers who inform and entertain us with diverse topics from local color to national politics.
The Longview chapter of AMBUCS serves many needs in our community. Our mission is to create mobility & independence for people with disabilities. Since our charter in 1983 we have found many ways to fulfill our mission.
* Our club originated and developed a therapy tricycle that provides mobility and therapy at the same time for people with many different kinds of disability. AmTrykes are now manufactured in several countries and donated by AMBUC chapters throughout the USA and world wide. Over 16,000 amtrykes have been produced and distributed to grateful recipients.
Local Community Projects:
* Build wheelchair ramps each year for local people in need.
* Provide college scholarships for local Therapy students .
* Furnish motorized and standard wheelchairs, hospital beds, chair lifts, Accessible vehicles, and provide a wide array of services to thousands of East Texans with disabilities.
* Donated & installed over $50,000 in Handicapped Accessible playground equipment for Rotary/Ambuc park.
* Joined the Telephone Pioneers to build the Pioneer/Ambuc house for the Truman W. Smith center.
* Built a house in a day during Operation Clean Sweep.
*Contributed Over $133,000.00!
*Volunteered more than 4500 hours!
*Gave away 146 AmTrykes worth over $79,000.00!
*Built 25 Ramps totaling $6,000.00!
* Gave away $32,000.00 in Scholarships!
All of these services are provided at no charge.
AMBUCS are making a difference in the everyday lives of physically challenged people in our community